п»їBiological Technology, 4e (Freeman)
Chapter one particular Biology as well as the Tree of Life
1) Which of the following assertions about cells is true? A cell can be _____. A) only seen in multiples of two, since single cellular material cannot are present independently B) always between 200 and 500 micrometers in size
C) feature of eukaryotic but not prokaryotic organisms D) characteristic of both prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms Solution: D
Research: Section 1 ) 4
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level 1 Understanding
2) How can a clinical theory differ from a technological hypothesis? A) Theories will be proposed to try scientific hypotheses.
B) A theory is an explanation for any very standard phenomenon or observation; hypotheses treat further observations. C) A speculation is evidence for a incredibly general trend; theories handle more specific concerns. D) Hypotheses define clinical laws; ideas are used to set up experiments. Solution: B
Reference point: Section 1 ) 5
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level 2 Understanding
3) Wrack in the genus Caulerpa commonly grow into a length of above half a meter and have set ups similar to arises, leaves, and roots. Duplication occurs once adults develop sperm and eggs that fuse to create offspring. Every adult Caulerpa consists of just a single cell, however. Which will of the following statements is valid? A) Caulerpa violate the pattern element of the cellular theoryоЂ„that every organisms incorporate cells. B) Caulerpa violate the process component of the cell theoryоЂ„that almost all cells are derived from preexisting skin cells. C) Caulerpa violate both pattern and process components of the cellular theory. D) The existence of Caulerpa is like cell theory. Answer: M
Reference: Section 1 . a few
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level three or more Application
4) Which affirmation about natural generation is definitely false?
A) Pasteur demonstrated that it does not arise under regular laboratory circumstances. B) It apparently occurred at least onceвЂ”when life on Earth started. C) It occurs every time a new varieties evolves via a current species. D) It address the formation of living skin cells from recently nonliving materials. Answer: C
Reference: Section 1 . 5
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level a couple of Comprehension
5) Recall Pasteur's experiment on spontaneous era. If he previously just warmed up the life-giving broth, instead of boiled that, what could have been the likely end result of his experiment? A) Cells will not have appeared in either flask.
B) Cells might have appeared in both flasks.
C) Cellular material would have came out in the swan-neck, but not the straight-neck flask. D) Skin cells would have made an appearance in the straight-neck, but not the swan-neck flask. Answer: W
Reference: Section 1 . a couple of
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level 5 Analysis
6) Lance Armstrong just completed third (by about your five minutes) in the 2009 Travel de England cycling competition. This was an incredible feat pertaining to the 37-year-old father of 4. Initially and second-place winners, Alberto Contador (age 27) and Andy Schleck (age 24), respectively, do not children. Which usually of these 3 men reveals the greatest evolutionary fitness? A) Alberto Voltimetro, because he gained the race.
B) Lance Armstrong, because he came in third with the advanced regarding 37! C) Andy Schleck, because he the fatigue highly experienced Lance Armstrong. D) Lance Armstrong, because he has reproduced.
Reference: Section 1 . several
Bloom's Taxonomy: Level a few Application
7) The cow Bos primigenius (which is usually bred pertaining to meat and milk) includes a smaller brain and larger eye than tightly related crazy species of ungulates. These characteristics most likely came about by _____. A) all-natural selection, mainly because these characteristics arose in the population as time passes B) organic selection, mainly because these were certainly not the qualities consciously chosen by individuals C) manufactured selection, because these changes in traits co-occurred with human selection intended for high dairy output and high muscle mass content D) artificial selection because these kinds of animals vary from their close relatives and common ancestral Answer: C